Monday 25 March 2013

Avial/Kerala style Mixed Vegetable fry

    
     I have been busy with my baby's operation and hospital and all that I couldn't post any recipes for few days.Now I am back with full on.Sorry that I didn't wish anyone "Mother's Day".I don't think I should say something about mother because it is a position which can be attained only with the blessings of the Almighty.The word "Mother" is a feeling of warmth and safety which we cane feel only in the hands of our mothers.
    My mother has always been a support system in my life.I have wondered how she tackled all the hurdles and kept up all the time in miseries.If she had went down in any bad situations,our entire family would have gone down.Alhamdulillah,I thank my Almighty Allah for giving me such caring and lovable parents.Just like you all,I too think they are the best parents in the world and how correctly the Almighty has matched us with our family members.A big salute for my parents for being a better half of my life.
     A salute to my dear umma and uppa for being so special and for giving so much care and love,which I would rarely get from anywhere else.All prays for you always....
   I wonder what to post today.Have lots in my PC to upload,but in confusion what to post.Since it is about Mothers day,I shall give you the recipe how my mother used to make us have vegetables.We were very lazy to have vegetables and our faces drowns seeing veg dishes on the table.But truly avial is one of my favorites.
 Serves 5; Preparation time 15 minutes; Cooking time 20 minutes

Ingredients

1 Medium sized carrot
1 Drumstick
1 Medium sized potato
Small piece of Yam
8 to 10 Beans
1/2 Bottle Guard
5 to 6 Ladies finger/Okra
1 Medium sized Onion
2 Green Chillies
1 Medium Sized Tomato
1 Raw Plantain
1 Brinjal
1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
1/2 Tspn Cumin Seeds
2 Cloves Garlic
1/2 + 1/2 Tspn Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 Cup Water
2 Tblspn Coconut Oil
Few Curry Leaves
1 Tblspn Curd or yoghurt

Method

  1.  Slice the onion and tomato.Split the green chillies.
  2. Cut all the vegetables into 2 inch long pieces.

 3.  Put all the vegetables (except okra),onion,green chillies and tomato in a saucepan.
 4.  Pour water and put some salt and turmeric powder in it and boil for 10 minutes in medium flame.
 5.  Grind the grated coconut,garlic cloves,turmeric powder and cumin seeds coarsely in a grinder.
 6.  When the vegetables are half done,add the ground coconut mixture into it and the okra too in it and cook for 10 more minutes.
 7.  See if it is done and off the flame.Now add the yoghurt into it and give it a good stir.
 8.  Now spoon in the coconut oil on top and spread the curry leaves too on top and close the lid.
Note: Although it is a kerala dish,it goes well with chappathi too.I love it with Chappathis.It is mainly seen as side dish in sadhya of Kerala Cuisine,which is taken with par boiled rice or white rice.
       Any type of vegetables like brinjal etc also can be added to this ingredient.

2 comments:

Please feel free to comment coz your comments are my inspiration and motivation.....I would be very much obliged to read your comments and criticisms....